- In 1888 as FA Cup holders, West Bromwich Albion travelled to Glasgow to take on Scottish Cup holders Renton FC. The event was billed as a ‘World Championship, but was in reality a bit like a cross border Charity/Community Shield. In front of a recorded crowd of 6,000. The Scotsmen ran out convincing 4-1 winners.
- In 1984 Everton faced Watford in the FA Cup Final. The toffees won 2-0 thanks to goals from Graeme Sharp and a controversial 2nd from Andy Gray.
- In 2004 Valencia lifted the UEFA Cup in Gothenburg by beating Marseille 2-0. The goals came from Vicente from the spot with Mista adding the 2nd.
- In 2012 Chelsea became European Champions beating Bayern Munich on Penalties. The game had ended 1-1 after Tomas Muller gave the Germans a late lead, but Didier Drogba equalized even later on and the Ivorian went on to score the decisive penalty in a 4-3 shootout victory.
- Also in 2012, West Ham clinched promotion to the Premier League by beating Blackpool 2-1. Cole gave the hammers the lead before Ince equalized for the tangerines. However Vaz Te netted a late winner to send the irons fans delirious.
- And finally….. Once again in 2012. The Scottish Cup Final was an all Edinburgh affair as Hibernian took on Hearts. It was The Jambo’s who left Hampden Park celebrating after a comfortable 5-1 victory. 2 up through Barr and Skacel, Hearts were pegged back before the break by a McPake goal. However, it proved to be a false dawn for the Hibbies fans as the Jambo’s netted 3 more in the 2nd half from Grainger, McGowan and another from Skacel.
Have we missed anything? Please add any in the comments section below…