A look back at footballing events on this day.
- 1967 – Tottenham and Chelsea met in the FA Cup Final. Spurs through Robertson and Saul took a 2 goal lead before Tambling netted a late consolation for the blues. The lilywhites lifting the cup after a 2-1 victory.
- 1987 UEFA Cup Final 2nd leg. Dundee United 1 Gothenburg 1. A draw for the Swedes clinched the tie 2-1 on aggregate.
- 1989 – Scottish Cup Final. Joe Miller’s goal for Celtic took the cup back to Parkhead in a 1-0 win over rivals Rangers.
- 1989 – A Merseyside derby Cup Final was extremely fitting in the wake of the Hillsborough disaster. An emotional day ended with the reds defeating their blue neighbours 3-2 AET. Liverpool led early through Aldridge, but McCall scored a late equaliser to take it to extra time. Rush have the reds the lead again only for McCall to once again draw Everton level. Rush was then on the scoresheet again to take the cup back to Anfield.
- 1995 – FA Cup Final Everton upset the odds to beat Manchester United 1-0. The goal came from Paul Rideout in the 30th minute in what is the toffees last FA Cup win.