21st of May… Various footballing events to take place on this date. Bit of heavy Manchester United influence today.
- 1977 – Liverpool faced bitter rival Manchester United in the FA Cup Final. After a goalless first half the game came to life shortly into the 2nd half with 3 goals in 5 minutes. First Pearson gave United the lead after 51 minutes, but Case equalized 2 minutes later. However, in the 55th minute Greenghoff scored what turned out to be the winner.
- 1983 – FA Cup Final. Manchester United drew 2-2 with Brighton and Hove Albion. Smith gave the seagulls an early lead, but 2nd half goals from Stapleton and Wikins turned it around for the red devils. However a late Stevens goal took the game to a replay. United went on to win the rematch comfortably 4-0
- 2003 – UEFA Cup Final. Celtic v Porto. Derlei gave the Portuguese a half time lead with a goal on the stroke of half time. Larson equalized shortly into the 2nd half, but minutes later Alenichev restored Porto’s lead. Larson then struck again and The game went to extra time. With the game seemingly heading for penalties… Derlei struck a 115th minute winner.
- 2005- FA Cup Final. Arsenal and Manchester United played out a goalless draw in Cardiff and so the game went to penalties. Arsenal became the first team to win it this way 5-4
- 2008 – Champions League Final. An all English affair in Moscow as Manchester United faced Chelsea. The game ended 1-1 After goals from Ronaldo for United and Lampard for the blues. Drogba was red carded during extra time. The penalty shootout went to sudden-death and it was United who came out on top eventually with Van der Sar making a decisive save from Anelka.