A selection of footballing memories from this date in history
- 1972 – European Cup Winners Cup Final. Rangers achieved one their greatest moments in their history in winning a European trophy for what is the only time in their history. Played at the Camp Nou in Barcelona, Stein gave the gers the lead and Johnston then hit a double as Rangers took control against Dynamo Moscow. The Russians hit back with two 2nd half goals, but the Ibrox club held on for a famous victory.
- 1997 – Northampton beat Swansea City 1-0 in the Division Three Playoff final thanks to a last minute goal from defender John Frain.
- 2008 – Championship Playoff final. Hull City clinched promotion to the Premier league thanks to a 1-0 victory over Cardiff City. Dean Windass scored the goal.
- 2014 – Champions League Final. A battle of Madrid took place in Lisbon as Real faced Atletico. Godin gave Los Rojiblancos a first half lead and Diego Simone’s men were on the verge of a famous victory until deep into injury time when Ramos equalized for Real. They then went into extra time with the momentum. A tense game came to life as Bale put Blancos into the lead with 10 minutes remaining. With Atletico throwing everything at their rivals, Real netted 2 late goals from Marcelo and Ronaldo from the spot to run out 4-1 winners and take the title back to the Santiago Bernabeu for a 10th time.
- 2014 – Bobby Zamora fired QPR into the Premier league with a 90th minute goal at Wembley against Derby County in the Championship Playoff final.
- 2015 – 2 years ago today Preston North End were promoted to the Championship after a convincing 4-0 win against Swindon Town in the league one playoff final at Wembley. Jermaine Beckford was the hero scoring a hat-trick. The other goal coming from Paul Huntingdon.