1967 – European Cup Winners Cup Final
- Played at the Stadtisches Stadion in Nuremburg… Bayern Munich were competing in their first European Final against Scottish giants Glasgow Rangers. The Germans triumphed on home soil after extra time thanks to a goal from Franz Roth.
1991 – Fourth Division Play Off Final
- Blackpool faced Torquay United for a place in the 3rd Division. Groves gave the tangerines an early lead, but United hit back to lead at the break with goals from Saunders and a penalty from Edwards. An own goal from Curran drew the teams level in the 2nd half and sent the game to extra time. No more goals meant promotion hinged on the outcome of a penalty shootout. The Gulls came out on top 5-4 and duly took their place in division Three.
1993 – Division One Play Off Final
- In front of 73,802 Swindon Town faced Leicester City. The Robins took the lead just before the break through player manager Glenn Hoddle. They then took what looked like a comfortable 3-0 lead early in the 2nd half with goals from Craig Maskell and Shaun Taylor. The Foxes produced a remarkable comeback with 3 goals in a 12 minute spell to draw level. First through Julian Joachim and then Steve Walsh before Steve Thompson equalized. However, it was to no avail as Paul Bodin netted an 84th minute penalty to send the robins into the top flight for the first time in their history.
1999 – First Division Play Off Final
- Nick Wright put Bolton Wanderers into a half time lead against Watford and Alan Smart added a late 2nd to give the trotters victory over the hornets and promotion to the Premier League.
2004 – Third Division Play Off Final
- Only a few days ago Huddersfield Town celebrated promotion to the Premier League after a penalty shootout. Well, 13 years ago they were celebrating promotion to the 2nd division after beating Mansfield Town in similar fashion. The Terriers defeated the stags 4-1 on penalties after the game finished 0-0 after 120 minutes of football.
Were you at any of these games? What are your memories?